19.2.07

I hate my writing with video class, but I love that I get to make things like this (that really happened) into movies

Katie and I had been walking down east 9th street for what felt like hours. Our shoulders were sore from scrunching them up towards our ears for extra warmth and our knuckles were white from clenching our fists so tightly in our pockets. The wind was whirling into our famished bodies. “How many more blocks?” I asked through the scarf covering my face.
“Uhm, well the dorm is right off of Broadway and thats after University Place, and were at 10th, so not too many.”
The neighborhoods were getting increasingly nicer as we walked west through the city. At this point we were surrounded by tall brownstones with exquisite lighting fixtures inside their floor to ceiling front windows. Cabs lined the streets with women wearing expensive coats climbing in and out, fussing with their many shopping bags. “I wouldn’t mind spending christmas in one of these laps of luxury...” Katie muttered.
“Who the hell says laps of luxury? Is this like 1945?”
“Was that a popular phrase in the 40’s?”
“I’m not sure. But I’m fucking freezing.”
“Should we sing a christmas carol to keep us warm?” I paused for a moment contemplating this idea. It as a great one, after all, the best way to spread christmas cheer is singing loud for all the hear. But what song? Forgetting anything but the choruses to songs I shouted, “THATS THE JINGLE BELL-”
“THATS THE JINGLE BELL-” Katie chimed in as we were passing a Cab with his drivers side door open. Before either Katie or I could sing the big finishing line, a raggedy taxi driver wearing a black knit hat ana a blue flannel shirt shouts out, perfectly on key- “THATS THE JINGLE BELL ROOOOOCK.” We applauded this jolly stranger who must have been santa himself in disguise. This was the best christmas ever.

No comments: